Create this comforting meal on a cool evening with someone you love and cozy up.
Confession. I can eat beans and rice everyday.
I’m passionate to show you many ways to eat beans and rice, because they are a harmonious match. Why? Together, they’re a complete protein. This hearty aromatic lentil dish comes from Indian cuisine, which is my absolute favorite. Chili, ginger, spices and two types of beans come alive in this warming dish.
In the words of my friend, who also takes the marvelous food photography, ‘I don’t even like beans and I love this’.
- 2 cups dried black lentils
- 1 can kidney beans (15oz)
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 green chillis (chopped)*
- 1 tbsp ginger (minced)
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2.5 tbsp plant butter
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups filtered water
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat)*
- coconut cream
- basmati rice
- Add dried lentils, water and a pinch of salt to a pressure cooker
- Pressure cook the lentils according to your machine settings (about 15 minutes high pressure) *
- When the lentils are cooked, drain and keep the remaining liquid for later
- Lightly mash half of the lentils and set aside
- Warm a large skillet on low-medium heat and add 2 tablespoons butter
- Add chopped green chilis, ginger, onions and a pinch of salt
- Saute for about 3 minutes, deglazing the pan with a splash of water if needed – to keep from burning
- Add garlic, saute for 1 minute
- Add remaining spices (cumin, salt, garam masala, ground coriander, turmeric powder, pepper, bay leaves)
- Saute for 30 seconds, to heat spices and incorporate
- Add tomatoes – watch for the splash – and stir together for 3 minutes
- Add lentils (half mashed half full), kidney beans, 2 cups water, coconut milk, ½ tablespoon butter – stir to combine *
- When combined, lower the heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes
- Garnish with cilantro, lime and coconut cream
- Serve warm with basmati rice and enjoy!